Friday, September 30, 2011

15 Day Challenge, Day 14

Day 14: What did you want to be when you grew up? What are you now?

I wanted to be a number of things at different times in my life.

Throughout my whole life I've wanted to be an actor, but here's a fairly accurate timeline of other things I considered at some point.

In first grade, I fell in love with acting.
In fourth grade, I thought I wanted to be a stand-up comedian.
Until I realized you have to make up your own jokes and not just use other people's.
In fifth grade, I wanted to be teacher. I had moved to a new school and was often laughed at/bullied by a few of the kids. I thought if I were a teacher I could make a difference in that aspect.
In sixth grade, my love of art won me over. I wanted to be an artist. I loved my art classes and the freedom my teacher gave us to create. I once built a 4 foot tall paper mache tribute to Garfield. It was beautiful.
In seventh grade, I wrote a short story that my teacher loved so much she asked if she could copy it to read to her children. This is currently my most realistic dream - to be a published writer. One day people. One day.
In 9th grade, I had art again. Ms. Bondar, she was spectacular. I fell in love again with creating.
As a senior, I was ready for college as a theatre major, I thought I would run that department. Uh, yeah, this was my first lesson in "Damn, there are a lot more talented people out there than you realize."
I ended up choosing a closer school to my fiance, and focused on my basics. I had no idea what I wanted to be and hated that everyone asked me.
I didn't know. Things happened. I had to drop out.
After a couple of years, I went back. I had a full time job at the time, so I went 3-4 days from 6-9pm at night for 2 1/2 years to finish my BBA. At that point all I wanted out of life was a job that paid decent, a good boss, decent co-workers and something I enjoyed.
I'm lucky enough to say at this point I have it.
I help students at a university achieve their dreams, by either answering a question or finding a simpler route for them to take. (Among a multitude of other things, but this is my primary function) I remember what it's like to be completely frustrated and annoyed with my school, I try to make it as easy as possible for my students. I have a wonderful boss who adores Lillie like she's her own. And doesn't have a problem with us having a "Lillie Day" every now and again where I can bring her to work.My co-workers are generous and funny and slightly off their rockers (hey, they're pretty much all scientists, what'd you expect?) and I love them for it. It may not be what you dream about as a little kid, but as an adult I have to say this is by far one of the dreamiest jobs I've ever had.


No comments: