Wednesday, July 4, 2012

15 Day Challenge 2012: Day 4

[4] What's your favorite childhood memory?

No one memory stands out that is above all others. So, I'll just throw a few that come to my mind first.

[1] Well, fine, I lied. This memory stands out. I don't know why really. Maybe it's just the simplicity of it. I was in 6th or 7th grade and watching television. Rocko's Modern Life to be exact. [Who remembers this show?!] My little sister and brother were there. And this [below] came on. We laughed. And we laughed. And we laughed. It's just so ridiculous. And we do love cheese. It's probably a good 15 years later and if I call either of them and just say chhhheeeeeesssseee we immediately laugh. It's one of my most treasured memories.
 

[2] My mom was/is a waitress. She worked her butt off trying to give her kids not only what they needed, but what they wanted. Even though she worked 2 or 3 jobs at a time and was dealing with alcoholism, she loved us fully and did what she could at all times. I can look back now and see that she was dog-tired, but she still helped host a school field trip to the zoo for me in 5th grade. She packed all sorts of fun snacks, made us all laugh and ran around with us. At one point the 3 other students in her 'group' were looking at an exhibit  while we sat on a park bench and shared string cheese [what's with all the cheese, huh?]. I remember looking at her and thinking, "Wow, I have the prettiest, funnest, smartest mom ever." 

I pray every day my daughter will look at me like that.

[3] I was going to write one more, but after writing [2] I've got nothing. That's my favorite one.

1 comment:

Sar said...

Cheese...sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's Gouda.

I still laugh at that joke, Tam.

Oh my gosh, your mother sounds like an amazing, strong woman, and the fact that you remember that memory out of them all is indicative of the fact that your daughter will most definitely think the exact same thing. Love this.