Friday, May 31, 2013

Jelly of my Jams Swap Reveal!

Jelly of my Jams CD Swap

Holly & I, we just wanted to do something fun, something wonderful, something marvelous – and you know what? I think we did. #JellyofmyJams CD Swap had about twice as many participants as I expected (I thought it’d just be me & Holly, honestly) and I simply can.not.wait. to see all the songs people shared with their partners. I received mine last night (got it out of the mailbox this morning) and I shit you not – I love every song.

So, if you participated feel free to link a post telling us why we should be Jelly of your Jams! Don’t worry if you’ve worked something out and don’t have a post ready yet, you can link up later. Whatever works best for you.

We had an uneven amount of participants so I was put into a Trifecta of Awesome (yes, we named ourselves, no shame). Basically, I would swap songs (so tempted to write spit, ha!) with someone but they wouldn’t swap with me. 

I sent a CD to Genna (Freed At Last), Genna sent one to Abbey (Finding My Forever), & Abbey to me.

You guys. Abbey did not disappoint.

2013-05-31 07.21.36 Firstly, she sent me some headbands (even though I don’t have any head-back, I’m still going to use them) and cute little note cards that say Hey You on the front. Also, a lovely note where she tells me all the songs (Uh, there’s 23!) and some of her favorites. She was also nice enough to warn me that a few of them may not be Lillie-appropriate.

It always means a lot whenever people take my daughter into consideration. Just another reason why Abs is my favorite.

I’ll put a few videos up, but mostly I’ll just link to the YouTube so it doesn’t take forever for this post to load.

1. Just Keep Swimming – Finding Nemo.
She conveniently left #1 off her list on my note (I didn’t catch it when I was skimming the songs) so this was an hilarious start to my day. I’ve had the shittiest week, and seriously this made it all worthwhile. Best way to start a CD.

2. I Love – Tom T. Hall
I remember hearing this song years ago on the radio but had no clue who sung it (when I say years, I mean like I was 6 or 7) and had completely forgot about it. You guys. I was so freaking giddy on my way to work this morning as I listened. I’ve also officially changed the last lyric of the song from “I love you, too” to “I love you, Abs.”

3. Scar – Missy Higgins
I had never heard this song before. I absolutely love the lyrics. I actually listened to it twice on my way into work. In fact, I’m listening to it as I type this right now. I’m fancy in that way. Please, please, please check it out. You will not be disappointed.

4. Get U Home – Shwayze
Proof that Abbey wants in my pants are in the lyrics : “Take me in the bathroom, take my clothes off, make love to me up against a dirty wall, Cause I can’t wait to get you home”

It’s already been added to my running playlist and every time I hear it, I will think of you & a dirty bathroom Abbey but in the cleanest way possible, I swear..

5. Summertime – Brianna Taylor
This song seriously just rolls off your tongue. I found myself singing along even though I clearly did not know the words. Thank the sweet baby Jesus for tinted truck windows.

6. I Feel Home – O.A.R.
Another new song to me. This is definitely a sitting on my back porch, drinking a cold one, hanging with my friends kind of song – just mellow & chill. They do a great song of describing their ‘home’ and it’s an awful lot like mine. 

7. Rodeo – Chris Ledoux
I started laughing like a mad woman when this came on. Now, if you’re a redneck then you KNOW this song – mostly because any man you’ve ever come across has started singing it loudly when they get drunk at some point in their life. WARNING: This is NOT a safe for work song. A few of the lyrics:
“Well, it’s 40 below and I don’t give a fuck, got a heater in my truck and I’m off to the rodeo”
”Well, here comes Johnny with his pecker in his hand, he’s a one ball man and he’s off to the rodeo”
”piss me off, fuckin’ jerk, get on my nerves”

8. Waka Waka – Shakira
Great running/workout song. Also, I am in love with Shakira. Especially after seeing her on The Voice this season. Her voice is so unique and beautiful. Also, she’s easy on the eyes. Hmm…maybe I should sing her Get U Home…

9. Storm Warning – Hunter Hayes
I’ve heard this song (and love it) and I’m familiar with Hunter Hayes. Just not familiar with how he looks. I googled and it says he’s 21, but dude, he can’t be more than 15. He’s got the sweetest little baby face, but dude he’s got a voice of a grown ass man. My loins are very disturbed by this.

10. Taste – Josh Abbott Band
Another country artist (Abbey you’ve nailed this) that I’m a fan off. Although, again, Abbey, I get it. You want me. I’m married. To be fair though, I’m sure my husband wouldn’t mind. Men. Sheesh.
Lyrics: “ I wanna taste your skin; I wanna be let in. I wanna hold you and feel you like you’ve never been.”

11. Ferris Wheel – Jason Jones
Country for the win again! I added the video below because it’s adorable. And also because I now want to go to a fair. Are there any fairs going on anywhere? I want to go to there.

12. Touch the Sky – Julie Fowlis
This is from the movie Brave and yep, another great running song. I just watched this movie for the first time a few weeks ago, so great. If you haven’t checked it out yet, I advise you do.

13. Love Letter – Shwayze
I am really liking this Shwayze, Abs. You can’t help but move your shoulders to it.

14. Our Last Night – Better Than Ezra
This song makes me want to grab a glass of wine, go sit on my back porch swing and just look out into the sunset. Okay, fine, by glass I meant bottle. You guys know me too well.

15. If I could Do It Again – Corey Smith
I love it when songs just tell stories – like no metaphors, no deeper meanings, just stories you can relate too and love. That’s what this is.

16. Gone, Gone, Gone – Philip Phillips
Did anyone watch the American Idol season with Philip Phillips on it? I don’t typically get caught up in AI anymore but because of Philip I caught most of that particular season and am so grateful – I love, love, love his voice. It’s so raspy & genuine.

17. Do You Remember – Jack Johnson
Dude. It’s Jack Johnson. You have to love him. Just listen.

18. Bang Bang – Dispatch
I song so good you don’t even care that it’s 6 minutes long.

19. White Trash Story – Casey Donahew Band
This is a great background song for casual get-togethers. Like it has a great beat to it and then when a lull in conversation comes up you hear some of the lyrics and you’re like “What the…?” And everyone laughs and it’s a grand ol’ time for all.

20. The Civil Wars – Barton Hollow
This sounds very folksy, blue grass, rock-like. I’ve never heard this song either, but it’s definitely going in my iTunes.

21. You Can Call Me Al – Paul Simon
Abs tells me this is her favorite song and that when people hear it, they think of her. I’m ashamed to say I’ve never heard this before. I’m so glad though that you added it! It’s an older song (80s) and has Chevy Chase in the video, I love it.  Also, Betty (stepmom) & Al are the husband’s parents name – it made me laugh.

22. Motorcycle Drive By – Third Eye Blind
I ask you, who doesn’t like Third Eye Blind? WHO?

23. You rock, dude.
No video for this it’s only 6 seconds long and it’s a little kid that says YOU ROCK, DUDE.

No, Abbey YOU ROCK.

Thank you so much for the wonderful CD of these amazing songs!

4 comments:

Sara Strand said...

I have the Hunter Hayes album- LOVE EVERY SONG. :)

Katie said...

AWESOME CD Abbey! :) Tam, I think it would be hard to find someone who doesn't want to sing that song to Shakira. lol She is gorgeous!

Abbey said...

Hahahaha so glad you liked it! And figured out my secret message about wanting in your pants. ha. :)

Holly said...

Just keep swimming...hilarious!!! So cute that she put that on there :) "Waka Waka" is one of my FAVORITES EVER!!!!!!

HOW HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD 'CALL ME AL' BEFORE???? We played that in band for YEARS lol. Love it.

So glad we arranged this swap, but clearly you're the most awesomest because you put the link up together when my life is just one big ball of chaos. Thanks for being awesome :)